The town hall was designed by Charles Barry (who also designed the Houses of Parliament) and completed after his death by his son, E.M. Barry.
It opened in 1863.
The building has an 180 foot tower and spire.
The central (victoria) hall has a cantilevered gallery and a magnificent glass roof.
Free guided tours can be arranged – contact the Mayor’s office 01422 393022.